Monday, April 29, 2013

Week of April 29 2013: Stories for everyone!

Stories for everyone! I really wanted to send some pictures this week, but whatever. We are having a weird morning and emailing earlier than normal, so that shan't happen.

One week ago on Mondee, we had several weird miracles occur exactly at a time when such things were very heartening to me (not because miracles build faith, but because THEY WERE TENDER MERCIES SO THERE). While we decided to stay in for a few hours and take a nap, our investigator Lyobomir called us to set up a lesson (something that happens very, very rarely, at least for me, and is quite nice). He also called Sister Bingham "Kimche," her first name being Kim and "che" being a diminuative/affectionate suffix one can attach to pretty much any word in Bulgarian that makes it mean "little" or "cute" or "something I'm fond of." I haven't really talked about him, have I? He's pretty great, and I feel that only a picture can really illustrate this in its fullest sense. He's probably about 65, pretty wealthy, a restauranteur (sp?), and lives in a tourist/vacation area called Golden Sands, and has a golden Mercedes, by the way. He also really likes our church and says that we are his angels who saved him, and is probably one of the slowest (not stupid slow, just attitude slow) people I know. Also chillest. He truly chills to the next episode. And after 2 months of teaching and breathing slowly and him bringing us candy and reading scriptures together, he finally agreed to be baptized! I'm really not into pushing people into baptism unless I feel they themselves are wanting it, so I feel satisfied with his level of commitment and desire. He has a dog named "Susi." He told me a story about a Bulgarian folk hero named Bai Ganyo (look it up if you want, kind of like a recurring character with hilarious repeating instances of simplicity) who is being given watermelon by a friend, and every time he cuts him a new slice Bai Ganyo says "Tank yo," 'thank you' in kind of broken English, and the guy actually thinks he's saying "Tunko," which means slim or narrow, so he keeps slicing thinner and thinner slices until Bai Ganyo gets mad because he was saying thank you the whole time! Ha ha ha ha. Anyway, Lyobomir is awesome. 

Another tender mercy: an investigator named Svilan, who is a construction worker and kind of quiet and not very expressive and reminds me of Seifitin from Ruse, has been in a smaller city called Razgrad for a few weeks, visiting his older parents, and he CALLED US with a READING QUESTION. From a book that Mormon edited. He asked me what it meant when it writes that they had to take the daughters of Ishmael and his family into the wilderness. Ha ha. So that was cool. He'll be back soon and hopefully also continue to progress toward water-dunking.

And finally: an investigator named Shefket (Turkish name) showed up kind of unexpectedly to Family Home Evening and then we had a lesson unexpectedly after, with an awesome member who really helped him understand some stuff. So that was cool. It all kind of came together. 

Also two new converts here, Hristo and Dima, one of whom I mentioned before, had their baby this week! So that all worked out. 

I'm heading into my last transfer now with my old pal Sister Walch, and staying here to finish up where I started in Varna. So I'm looking forward to it. I recommend the following chapter to everyone: 2 Nephi 25. 

I love you guys. Keep on keeping on?

Sister Frundball

No comments:

Post a Comment