Friday, April 5, 2013

Week of April 1 2013: The Bruce Springsteen of Prophets


I have an interesting quote for you all from Brigham Young, the Bruce Springsteen of prophets. He said, of prayer, "..when the time for prayer comes, and you have not the spirit of prayer upon you, and your knees are unwilling to bow, say to them, 'knees, get down there,' make them bend, and remain there..."

What a weird/genius! I like that guy. And I think it also applies well to a lesson I've learned here: usually when you are most angry and most wound-up and think you're right and hate that stupid feeling to get over yourself and calm down and bring the Spirit back is the time when you MOST need to do that. Also, knees should be commanded.

We had a really cool lesson with someone on Sunday, who originally said he wouldn't be able to make it, but who randomly showed up at the church a few minutes before we were about to finish with our council meeting, at about the preappointed time, and we were able to grab a newly baptized 20-year-old member named Hristo (also newlywed to his 9-month pregnant wife) and have him in on the lesson. It was amazing at a testimony builder to me. Hristo was so excited to talk to this man about his testimony, and shared it so freely and so happily, explaining honestly about the change in his life and his desire to be a good person and follow Christ. Afterward he said, "Thank you so much for letting me help you - it makes me feel really good to help people like him. I feel really good right now." The Spirit was very strong, and I was so grateful, again, for member present lessons, and made a greater resolution to make them happen no matter what. 

It isn't Easter here yet! So I'll tell you about the eggs and sweet breads and priesty things in a few weeks. I love you all. Read Alma 32 one last time, and Alma 31 also gets overlooked. 

Sister Handbag

No comments:

Post a Comment