Monday, November 19, 2012

Week of November 19, 2012: See the world!

On Friday, I was in Varna and saw a giant plastic zippered suitcase/bag made out of tarp material (a unique product here that is mainly used to transport giant amounts of plums or onions) (plumnions) that had on the two big sides, big pictures of Spiderman, and on the tiny sides, "See the world see the world see the world" in a pattern. This was probably the most moving or significant part of the week, or at least, the one I wrote down in my planner to tell about.
 
So on MONDAY we had dinner and watched the full-length Joseph Smith movie ( the one Thomas is probably seeing every Sundee in the GremTC) with a new member named Stefi (have a told about her? probably) who is fifteen and goes to singing school and is giggly and very fifteen-y, which is cool in a branch that is dominated by the elderly. And on Tuesdee we taught the Law of Chastity to Seifitin, who it turns out is Turkish!
 
Also our senior couple, who is currently acting as branch president (jointly) was present, and we had a good little time trying to explain THAT particular commandment, in Bulgarian, to a poor bewildered but awesome shy man.
 
OH! Here's a thing that happened. Last week Sister Walch and I were walking away from the internet zala toward the church, when I saw a woman in front of us clearly do that thing where people notice a different language being spoken and start turning around and staring. She was smoking and wearing a giant fluffy white hat and fuzzy white coat and looked like a very original character. As we passed her and continued walking along, I waited for the inevitable: "Do you speak ______ language?" called from behind us. She asked it in Italian, I think, probably ABOUT Italian. We told her that no, no Italian. Smiley smiley. And then she asked German. Nope, no German. Slovenian? Nope, even less. And finally we told her we spoke English and she said, like many people, "I speak! A little," which was actually the extent of her English. And then, finally, in Bulgarian, asked the most important and best question I have ever been asked on my mission (or in life?): "Do you want me to sing you something in Slovenian?" We said, obviously, Now? Here? On this sidewalk with people walking past? And she nodded vigorously and then started singing a slow, operatic type song with her eyes open SUPER WIDE and smoke issuing from her mouth, pausing for one moment to ask, "Do you smoke?" and then continuing on with her song. Probably for about 5 minutes or so. And then we told her, we work at that church over there! Come by and sing with us sometime! Address, here is a pamphlet! And ran away, trying not to laugh.
 
We also had continuing awesome lessons with Seifitin (who told me that it is a tradition in Turkey, as in Japan to sit on the floor around a low table to eat). He gets baptized this Saturday, so we'll have lots of that stuff to prepare this week (setting up the pool, which we dragged from Varna in seven giant orange fabric bags, filling the font from the toilet, heating it up with those crazy heating tongs). It's just funny. When you know someone who's getting baptized and teach them (I REFUSE to use the phrase "when you have a baptism" or "when you baptize somebody". So selfish!!! THEY are getting baptized, not us!!), it is all kind of not like you expect it to be. I've noticed this every time. It's not like, constant joy and accomplishment and ANGELS and wooo! It's more just like, Wow. The Lord is so merciful, even though I'm stupid and prideful. I just realize how grateful I am to have what I have and know what I know, and realize how little I had to do with this person changing their life.
 
Anyway. I love you guys. This Thursday we're having dinner with our district for Thanksgiving and I'm making 3 pies, so wish me luck! I love you all.
 
P.S. We have been asked not to email anyone outside of family. So sorry. I will love and receive all emails and letters, but can't write back unless you have Camblasplund blood. :( Write me a letter!
 
Sister Scrundle

No comments:

Post a Comment