Monday, January 14, 2013

Week of January 13, 2013: Pie!

Hello yet again! Yet AGAIN! Guess what happened this week? Svetlo (aka Sezgin, aka the Cowboy) got baptized! It was pretty adorable. I have to admit it took me a little bit of time to understand him and get used to teaching him, and I wasn't sure if this would really happen the way it happened, but it did. 
 
The more I've gotten to know him and his friend, the 13-year-old "Jane", the more I love them and realize how sincere they are and their desires are. We spend a LOT of our time with them somehow, and on Saturday Sisters Walch and Cross from Sliven and Sisters Coryell and Roper from Sofia came in to our little city, and we had a cute little family baptism in our little building. Svetlo is also really, really shy, and one of his big concerns that I didn't realize was a concern until recently was that there would be a lot of people at his baptism making him feel self-conscious. But it was a big step.  We told him that, in fact, he could have no one at his baptism but a bird, like at Jesus' baptism.  
 
And so that's how it was. Just the missionaries, Elder and Sister Eames, and three members who are his friends. And the baptism was perfect. He was so happy and calm, but excited. The cool thing about baptisms that's been in common between the ones I've been to here is that, inevitably, whoever is in the white jumpsuit just gets so calm and peaceful, before and after the baptism. No matter what their personality or individual worries or whatever, they just get so calm. It's hard to explain. But nice. And then we all ate soup and PIE that I made. Apple and berry with a woven crust.
 
A side-note about pie (just a little slice of information, hahaha): people here apparently see and hear about pie in the movies all the time (to quote their own words) and American pie is kind of like this fantasy thing they never really think is real, so they get REAL excited about seeing it for the first time. It's kind of adorable. There was the guy Mitko in Stara Zagora, who was from a village and very village-y and country-y and humble, who said something to the effect of: "All my life I saw of this American pie in films, and I dreamed of it. Oh, how I dreamed of it. And now, who would have thought that the day would come when I would have not one kind, but TWO kinds of pie to choose from!" It was pretty awesome.
 
I also made a giant floppy crazy red hat this week.
 
Also, what else? Very cold city I am in? I guess. My hair froze on the way to church and turned gray yesterday. 
 
I'd like to encourage everyone to read the last few chapters of Moroni this week. I read them recently and they are prettty good. Recommend them.
 
I love you all! Spay or neuter your pets!
 
Sister Crandberry 

No comments:

Post a Comment