Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Week of September 3, 2012: Po-hladnichko!

Po-hladnichko! 

I am so happy because it is getting more Seattle-like up in this Eastern Euro-pop, or "po-hladnichko" as people often say. So everything is slowly, slowly cooling down, apples are slowly coming out to the fruit stands, melon piles are going down (frown), and tomatoes are still doin' fine.

How to start?  First of all, thank you all for writing to me and helping me feel loved. I am very lucky to be as supported and buoyed as I am. Shout-outs to all and sundry. I apologize for not writing back some of you, but we have been discouraged from writing to non-family, for one thing, and email time has just continued to go faster and faster since I've gotten "older" in the mission, and now I have a little daughter who watches my every move, so I have to Be A Good Guy. Which I'm okay with.

Anyway, I won't do one of those annoying "I'm an American in Europe blah blah blah fun!" rundowns. (Although what I write might be annoying anyway). But I SHALL share two spiritual experiences from this week, and one food experience.

First of all, does anybody remember Raiko? The painter who likes Coke Lite? After kind of deciding a week ago that he wasn't ready, due to his constant doubting/lack of paying attention, we managed to see him on Friday after getting back from a 3-hour train ride from Chirpan (accidentally didn't get off the train in Starz, because too many people were pushing me). And this time, he actually listened. We talked about the Holy Ghost and what it actually is, and how hard it is for him to accept that there is life after death. And he finally, finally admitted that he felt the feeling we were talking about, that the Holy Ghost was present while we talked to him and while he read. And it was just really cool. 
 
Also this week, my annoying four-chord-equipped guitar fingers made their re-entry onto the scene, and we played some hymns with him and made him sing with us. So this all sounds silly. But I guess I'm just happy that he is making any small movement toward a greater knowledge of himself and of God that he can, even if it's somewhat limited. 

Second of all, our Relief Society president, Zladka (the same one who passed out a few weeks ago in the middle of church) is in the hospital, sadly, with some really bad and complicated liver condition. So we six missionaries went up to the hospital (I think I've talked about Bulgarian hospitals before . . . ) to see her. Surrounded by garbage and cigarette smoke and techno blasting from the cafes near the hospital (nothing like getting away from your cancer patients for a nice smoke), we sat on the ground and had a sacrament meeting with her, and sang hymns with my silly blue guitar, and gave her the sacrament (elders, not us), and talked about the people in the branch and how they were doing.

Food experience: Maria, the new convert, randomly decided to buy a giant (e.g., two feet long) bannitza from her favorite bakery and bring it to English, and to invite whomever wanted to come and bite from it, and to drink airan (yogurt salty thing, it's Turkish). So a weird collection of us ended up eating bannitza in the weird upstairs area of the church, and discussing Russian and arguing about who knew English better. I've never felt more Bulgarian than the time I carried a two-foot-long bannitza on my head that one time.

Okay. I love you guys. Tell me how school is! Send me socks! Remember to be nice to your parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment