Welcome to another week in Stara Zagora, the home of the
best beer in Bulgaria! (According to many. The Zagorka beer factory is
very near by, and looks like a scary orphanage or sword factory.) Ooh,
also, notice the slogan of said Zagorka beer company: "Probably the best
beer in the world." Probably. Oh, and also an interesting
language note for all of you language nerds (nobody cares, I know,
sorry): Bulgarian contains a tense used to express doubt or sarcasm in
something having happened. So where in English we could say, "Supposedly
she ate 5 watermelons in a row," or "Oh, so you 'Didn't have time to
make me a sandwich,' huh??" in Bulgarian, you can just get rid of those
air quotes and supposedlies and use a tense to express it all!
Interesting. I am excited to embark on a sarcastic Bulgarian journey
when I am capable of doing so.
Goings-on of the second week of August. First of
all, hung out with awesome member Zladka, who needed help with her
technologies (camera/skype/email/finding LDS.org/learning how to use
Liahona talks for lessons). She is adorable and also made little lists
of commands written for all of the above things to help her remember,
e.g. "Press the red button, then click the round button, etc." She is
also the current Relief Society president, and we got to have another
lesson with her on Wednesday about how everybody (her, me, etc.) feels
inadequate for their callings and as if there perhaps is no hope. But
there is! Even though our Relief Society consists of about 4 active
women and 2 or 3 investigators/non-active women, we are still sisters in
Zion, darn it all! And we will MAKE pies for each other! And TEACH each
other the Gospel! So there.
And then, guess what. Congratulations to me, I
managed to lose ANOTHER wallet on my mission, all within the same six
months. Bra-VO. So we spent like four hours one day chasing it around,
asking the store where I probably lost/had it stolen if they had it,
turning off my cards, etc. Sigh. I will never grow up.
Also, mostly, helped the long-time investigator
Maria prepare for her baptism this week! And all that that implies! She
is a professional cook, and very insistent upon having an excellent
spread of not just a pie at her baptism, and therefore the following
traditional meal will be present: kebapcheta (ever-present spicy sausage
thingies), bannitsa (you know about it), mlechen salad (cucumber and
dill and yogurt), watermelon, pitki (bread balls) and bread. Bread must
ALWAYS be present. I am delighted by Maria and her sweetness and her
insistence upon only eating things that are appropriate for the given
month. For instance, even though her shopska salad is amazing, I would
never dare to ask for it anytime except in between May and August.
Before or after that, it is inappropriate, and according to her, might
make one sick, because of the temperatures of the ingredients (?). Also,
the peaches are getting bigger, just so you all know. Bigger and
better. It's out of control.
We also got to have a great lesson with this new
lady Bogdana, who is very Pravoslav and very sweet, and insisted upon
buying us drinks at an outdoor cafe (one of the youthful ones where
people sit all day long in purple leather booths and listen to rap from
2008 and techno from Croatia from 2006 or so) which was a funny place to
give a lesson on the Restoration to a 65-year-old lady, but awesome.
Mostly I've just been realizing this week that I am
not perfect, but that the main thing is to not focus on that but to do
my best every day and try to show love to people around me. And that's
it. That's all you can do.
I love you guys. I might leave Starz next week. Who knows??? Stay tuned!
PS: Bulgaria's volleyball team is doing well, I heard? In that 'supposedly' case?
When I read that thing about the sarcasm tense, I was like, "Oh, so *that's* why Eliza needed to be in Bulgaria." Perfect!
ReplyDelete