Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sister Campbell--Week 3!

It is me again! You can't avoid me! Ooh, I just found a bouncy ball on the table next to this computer station I'm at. Cool! Perhaps it is my liahona?

So, here I am at the end of THREE WEEKS at the EMPTY SEA. How did it happen, you ask? I don't really know. If I were going to Denver or Winnipeg like some of the Elders in my district, I would be getting ready to get on a plane tomorrow and go out into the real, embarrassing, Facebook-saturated world. But instead, I'm getting ready to get plain...tired of eating brownies for dinner! Ha ha ha ha ha. Just plain tired.

Seriously, I am having some food times issues here. Please do not misread this as one of those "MTC food is gross I'm a big whiner blah blah blah America BEEF FOREVER!!!" complaints. I'm grateful and amazed by the huge, diverse selection of food available to me three times a day every day. But for some reason, my brain is regressing psychologically somewhat to the point that only desserts really look appealing to me in here? Some times salads, sometimes wraps. It's like I'm the UPN show "Girlfriends" in here!!! (Please get that, everyone.) Maybe it's all the not-Diet Coat I've been drinking. Who knows. The point is, my companion and I were walking home yesterday at 9:30, and I looked down and said "WHY am I always covered in cookie crumbs and hair????" and she laughed. Because it's true. Called to serve him, Heavenly King of Cookies.

So what happened this week you ask? What DIDN'T happen!! Well, we didn't go to L.A. That didn't happen. I guess because of the travel week/holidayz/drunk security guards at airports, they decided not to have us fly yet. So we'll probably go next week? I dunno. There's a better-than-good chance that we'll have some kind of visa delays and end up in Chicago or Tulsa like some of the Bulgarian missionaries have done before, for a few weeks or a transfer. But I don't really even care anymore. In fact, I kind of like the idea of being an English-speaking missionary for a little while. One of the things I've learned is that there are definitely reasons I was called to Bulgaria, and especially to a kind-of-weird language. I tend to be overly wordy/confusing/rambly when I describe things to people/write papers/take the SAT/write letters home. And in Bulgarian, I really can't do that. I have to figure out the simplest possible way to say everything, which it turns out is actually the best way to say everything, when it comes to the Gorpsle. So even if I'm saying "You may you feel good in you when Ghost that is Holy is here," it makes more of an impact sometimes, than any amount of flowery normal-Eliza sentences could. ALTHOUGH I would also enjoy the opportunity to preach in English, because it would be so different. So you see, everything works out in the end. The end.

Hey guess who gets the letter shout-out of the week? Rachel Wise, the best T.A./friend/brownie-maker I've ever had at once! Can somebody make sure the Wises are getting these letters? Just in case? Man. I was grateful for that. I was also grateful for all of your Dear Eldereses/letters over Christmas. Also, they didn't let us stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve (Chetira Nova Godina!). Instead, we spent the evening "contacting" a "new" "investigator" (walking by a classroom where our teacher was sitting in a desk pretending to be in a park, and then pretending to be an atheist named Nikolai who wanted to meet with us). It's all very surreal in here. So when we got back and it was about to turn 10:00, my East-Coast roommate going to Ukraine said "The ball's about to drop!" So we all counted that down instead. And after everyone said Happy New Year! at the stroke of ten, I waited and then said, "This years sucks already. Worst year ever!!!!!" as my first words for the innauguration of 2012. And I'm sticking to it!! Just kidding. I like 2012 so far. So symmetrical. Also, what on earth is the Utah weather doing? It's like . . . sunny? And warm? And not icy and death-filled? The one year I don't have to walk to BYU campus every morning? Thanks a LOT, Thor, God of Thunder and Ice! Just kidding. I would never thank Thor. He's a jerk.

Um, so we teach three investigators a day now, every day. In Bulgarian. They just kind of sneaked that up on us. And now all of a sudden we actually have to "teach" and "say" things to people other than "Where are you from? Yes! Good!" It turns out, it's pretty hard to say, "Because of Jesus Christ's atonement, our sins are absolved if we follow the commandments." Even in English it's hard to say that. So when I tried to say that this week, it was this instead: "Because Jesus Christ die, atonement, bad things us is good if we make commandment." That was literally what I said. Lit'rally. Also, the word in Bulgarian for 'to atone' is actually 'to commit an atonement.' Bulgarian is the most verb-heavy language I've ever . . . seen? There is a verb for "to not have." There is a verb for "to be confused." Everything you think, you do. Very Eastern European. Da?

I dunno. Time goes very fast and very slow in here. It's strange. I sometimes am overwhelmed with how much I miss everyone and how long it's going to be before I see everyone again. And sometimes it feels like time is rocketing right along and Jesus will be returning to the earth before I know it. A combination of both, perhaps?

Spiritual thought of the week: everybody read Moroni 10. And then think about going on a mission. We need more different kinds of missionaries 'round here. All of you.

I love you guys! Don't stop believing! (In the Savior.) Don't stop till you get enough! (Inspiration from the Spirit.) Oops I did it again! (Prayed.)

Write 2 me! Vseechko hubavo!

No comments:

Post a Comment